Friday, November 16, 2012

Reflection for Leaders

Anyone is welcome to read and use the following post--but it is specifically directed to those called by God to lead His people--this comes from my own devotional reflection on these passages...I'd encourage you to treat this as a devotional reading and take time to reflect. 

"...they (leaders) are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give account.  Let them do this with joy..." (Hebrews 13:17b)

When I read this passage in my devotions the other morning I had just finished reading Ezekiel 33.  Particularly Ezekiel 33:1-9 is relevant to my reflection on this verse (you may want to go read it now).

Ezekiel is told that he is a watchman with the responsibility to speak whatever it is that God tells him to speak.  The consequences of NOT speaking and warning in accord with how God leads has haunting and devastating consequences for the prophet.  As one called to teach and preach and lead others, these verses have always weighed very heavily on me.  Any who is called to lead God's people (whether it is in full-time paid ministry, or "lay" leadership) knows at least something of the weight I speak of I am sure.

It is with this weight and responsibility in mind that one should walk through this reflection:

"...keep watch over their souls..."

Even at my best I cannot accomplish this task!  This is no task for the natural abilities or wisdom of man!  What is is more valuable than a soul?? (Jesus said: what good is it if we gain the whole word yet lose our soul?) What can one given the task of "keeping watch over souls" say or do other than to fling oneself more fully into the arms of the Holy Spirit?  What hope is there except that the Holy Spirit do this work through us.  Dear Father, send your Spirit, give us eyes to see and discern the naturally indiscernible!  

"...those who will give account..."

How can one not tremble at the thought?  For not one is perfect...far from it!  How can any of us lead how we ought to?  ("...those who teach will be judged more strictly..." Js 3:1)
Father be merciful on your servants!  Forgive us for the times when You said to speak and we stayed silent; or when you called for gentleness, but instead we were harsh!  Surely, Your mercies are new every morning!  For this we rejoice, and we press on for He who called us is faithful!

"...do this with JOY..."

Got that?  Serve with JOY.  Lead with JOY.  Teach and correct with JOY.  When you are tired and worn out; continue in JOY!
Father I confess that many times I have served simply out of duty...even with bitterness.  I have complained too often, and rejoiced to little.  Again Lord have mercy!  Restore to me the JOY of my salvation and the calling I have received in Christ!

If God has called you to lead, you have received an amazing privilege, but one that comes with a weight and responsibility that is beyond anything else I have experienced--watch over the souls entrusted to your care, be diligent to serve and lead well, and may you always be filled with the Joy of the Lord!


4 comments:

  1. Amen! Thanks Kellen for the encouraging words. We serve an Amazing God so we need to be faithful to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem...glad that it was encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kellen. Your reflections are very applicable for lay leaders as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...in fact lay leaders probably often don't get enough attention (from pastors etc) in regards to teaching and encouragement regarding the responsibility that they bear for those they lead as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts! We all grow and learn best as we share things together!