Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lessons from Adelaide

It's amazing what a 3 month old can teach you when you pay attention!

Adelaide and I often have "Daddy and Addie time" early in the morning before Mummy gets up.  Usually while I am downstairs eating breakfast and spending time reading and praying I hear Addie start to stir upstairs so I will go and get her and she will join me for the last part of my time with God.

The other day as I was reflecting and praying while holding Addie on my lap.  I was holding a toy in front of her that she began to swat at, and attempt to bring to her face to suck on.  This is a new thing for her, so she wasn't all that successful at first--but she kept trying, sometimes getting a hold of it, sometimes missing completely--all the while smiling and looking quite excited about the whole thing.

I started thinking how much that is like being a disciple and follower of Jesus.  It's an exciting journey--but it's one that we don't always get right--sometimes we "get a hold of it", other times we "miss completely"--but what a joy following Jesus can be!

However, as I had this thought--Addie grew tired trying to get her toy--frustration was finally setting in.  And soon she stopped striving and instead just tucked herself into my chest and relaxed.

And it hit me again--isn't THAT just like discipleship too.  Sometimes it's hard and frustrating--while it can be exciting and fun, there are times of growing weary and tired--times when we just need to cuddle up into the shadow of our Father's arms.

Being a disciple of Jesus is a journey, not a destination--it's a journey full of success and failure--it's exciting and frustrating all at the same time.  It's a journey that requires others who will encourage, challenge and support.

Ultimately, it's a journey of LOVE -- Addie can be successful, missing the mark, or just needing to come and rest in my arms--it's all part of the journey, and I love being on it with her.  Discipleship should be the same.

If you aren't on the journey with others of learning how to follow Jesus, I'd encourage you to find a few to start intentionally journeying with--you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts! We all grow and learn best as we share things together!