Saturday, February 15, 2014

Find Rest

"In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength."  (Isaiah 30:15)

Have you been moving at a pace lately where the "next thing" is already crowding into your present?  Have you said (perhaps with a sense of pride) things like: "there just aren't enough hours in the day"! Or "I'm so busy I just don't have time to..."

Why do we feel like it's a good thing to so crowd our lives that we have no time?  Do we think it is pleasing to God to not rest, or to so fill every hour that we proclaim that He hasn't given us enough in a day?  Do we think our strength found in personal exertion is what God is looking for?

I've fallen into the trap many times of finding my worth and value in keeping busy.  But make no mistake, it is a trap.

God is not exalting in your strength and might.  He is inviting you to recognize your limits, your weaknesses and to trust in His Spirit.

"Not by might nor by power but by My Spirit says the Lord!" (Zechariah 4:6)

When is the last time you have stopped and just returned to rest in the presence of the Spirit?  I mean really rest--not just squeeze in a moment or two for a prayer or Bible reading.

When is the last time you have just been silent with God--trusting Him to fill you and be your strength?

If it's been a while -- no guilt -- but take some time TODAY, to free yourself from the trap of not resting.  Take some time just to soak in a passage of Scripture, to go for a walk in nature, to listen and let God speak and pour into you.  This is where we find salvation, He will be your strength!

O weary soul, find rest from your toil and breathe deeply the Life of the Spirit!

3 comments:

  1. That just explained the old saying "no rest for the wicked" lol! I totally need some rest time to reflect....it sounds contradictory but scheduling in some rest time might be a good idea! You are right, I do find a sense of accomplishement when 'I get it all done' however I'm usually exhausted when I say that. Time to rethink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I've learned is I need to begin with rest, and then work. It's a way of keeping my priorities straight and acknowledging that my rest is actually about finding my strength from God...not just crashing because I am exhausted.
      Work from Rest ... It sounds a little backwards...but I've found it helpful! (It's another important concept from the Creation story in Genesis--the first full day that humanity experienced was the 7th day--a Day of Rest with their Creator!)

      Delete
  2. Jesus I Am Resting, Resting

    http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Tammy+Jensen+Jesus+I+Am+Resting%2C+Resting

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts! We all grow and learn best as we share things together!